Friday, August 29, 2014





These days there is a lot of time for me to sit and think...a lot of time to think about what I have done to have gotten my life in this mess.  Writing has been helpful to me in the past and I hope you will bear with me as I work through the process of getting better.
Quite honestly, though, all I can think about so far are the people I have hurt.  My victims never leave my mind.
But, the words will hardly come out. 
I have victims. 
These are people I have hurt severely through my direct or indirect actions… people both very near and dear to my heart, and people on whom I will never lay eyes.
I have hurt and victimized all kinds of people…primarily because of my addictions, but also because I am human.
I am currently sitting in prison…in a concrete building surrounded by razor wire because I have victims… because I did people wrong…very, very wrong.
On that day in court…that day that determined my fate was in fact to be incarcerated, I was faced with some who were my victims, people who I love dearly, and who suffered terribly because of my addiction and resulting actions.
I could not hold my head up.  I was so ashamed of my very existence.  My eyes could not meet theirs.
Then, looking over to the other side of the courtroom, I saw my father sitting…the very man I call hero, the man whom I look up to more than anyone in this world.  Now, once again, he was one of my victims.  It was absolutely one of the most gut-wrenching things I had ever experienced in my life.  I have never felt so low.
It probably sounds shallow to you, but I feel such a need to at least begin to try and express my apologies and begin the process of seeking forgiveness for the horrible things I have done. 
To all my victims, big and small, recent and old, I have to tell you that I am so deeply sorry for the things I have done and the pain caused by my actions.  That person is not who I really am.  You may disagree, and I can understand why you would feel about me as you do, because that is the face that I showed.
I ask God to forgive me and maybe one day I will feel that powerful grace that I know is there for others.  I hope someday you may forgive me.  I know it may not be possible, and I understand, but I have to ask, because this pain eats away at me every day.
I know what it is like to be locked in a cell – in prison – but it doesn’t have to be in a gray concrete building with three strands of razor wire surrounding it.  Sometimes you can be caught in prison in your own heart, mind and soul.  That’s where I find myself.
I want to find my way to peace, and to forgive myself.  I hope in time you will be able to move towards forgiveness of me too.
Until next time, in God’s grace,
Pax

7 comments:

  1. I love you Paxton !!you are an amazing guy and I'm so proud of you, thank you for all the smiles growing up. you can do it! we are all behind you in this !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your honest words. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, Paxton. Go forward, be brave, and keep the faith. --Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you so much sweet man. Stay strong. You have so many people that love you and support you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was very touching. Stay strong pax hang in there

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paxton, we loved you when you came next door to see us and the Dobermans. We love you now. You have within you the God given strength to forgive yourself. God has already forgiven you. Others, too, will forgive you with the Grace of God. You can do this. Remember. the peace that passes all understanding. We love you, Cheryl and Talmadge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paxton I only know you by name but I want to tell you how brave this is, how far you must have come to be able to write this. It truly touched me. Addiction is a disease i know well. That wasn't you driving your body and now that you are in the driver's seat I know you will steer in the path of grace and redemption and real joy. Because of that I know in time your sorrows and regrets that break your heart will eventually fade among the new memories you forge, cloaked in strength, righteousness, positivity, intention, mercy, SELF-LOVE and more strength. This is my prayer for you.

    ReplyDelete